As the world is still battling with the global pandemic, one may be poised to ponder about the benefits of juicing turmeric.
Just like a lot of spices, turmeric has a long history of use in traditional medicine. This spice is mostly planted from its root or rhizomes. It is a flowering plant in India, Bangladesh, and other parts of Southeast Asia.
Turmeric is known for its potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. The primary active ingredient in turmeric that provides the spice, its distinct yellow color, and massive health benefits is called curcumin.
What is Turmeric?
Turmeric is one of the beneficial health foods available in the food supply. This important spice contains polyphenols called curcuminoids or curcumin. Curcumin comprises over 100 molecular targets for the body, which it uses to reduce inflammation.
How to Safely Purchase Turmeric or Curcumin?
A study conducted by Stanford University found that 7/9 major production farms in India sold turmeric, with lead concentrations 500 percent higher than the needed amount.
Consumers think the brighter its color, the higher the quality. So some farms in India and Bangladesh enhance their turmeric powder with yellow pigment to boost sales. Which is why it is advisable to purchase fresh turmeric root from the grocery store or farmers market. However, it is possible to inquire where the turmeric is sourced.
Hawaii is believed to have better safety standards. You can also ask the vendor to provide the Certificate Of Analysis, however, since the FDA does not regulate many supplements and spices. They are only allowed to sell their products by attaching a disclaimer that says, &the Food And Drug Administration does not evaluate these statements. But if the company is reputable, they will analyze the substances in their products
Why Juice Turmeric Roots?
It is advisable to buy fresh turme18ric root and then juice it. This is better than powder.
Turmeric spices, powders, and capsules can be filled with barley, rye, cassava starch, or wheat. This can reduce curcumin concentration, which is the active ingredient that provides all the health benefits in turmeric.
Also, it’s been discovered that unpolished roots, bulbs of fingers have lower concentrations of lead. Turmeric is usually polished to remove the dirt and reveal the inner yellow part of the root. This is done before lead chromate pigment is added. So when buying turmeric, buy the root instead of the polished bulb, powder, or finger.
What Are The Benefits of Juicing Turmeric roots?
Turmeric comes with a plethora of benefits. Dr. Viham Chaujan of hints
about the following:
1. Boosting Immunity
- By juicing turmeric, Curcumin assists a great deal in boosting the immunity of the body. Curcumin contains some anti-inflammatory compounds and also helps in fighting against pathogens. Curcumin is even more potent in fighting anti-inflammatory infections than Ibuprofen (Advil aspirin).
2. Protect Brain Diseases
- Curcumin is helpful in getting the Neurotrophic factor hormone from the brain. This goes a long way in reducing the risk of brain diseases while boosting the brain’s functionality.
- The quickening of the growth of new neurons leads to the protection of the brain against degeneration.
3. Protect Heart Diseases
- When you take Curcumin, your Heart will become healthier and the risk of Heart Diseases will reduce. In addition, the endothelium gets a facelift whenever you take Curcumin. On the
whole, Curcumin assists in improving endothelial function.
4. Cancer Prevention
- Turmeric is very efficient in the treatment of cancer. Various researchers have identified some green lights and are studying it further. It spreads evenly as a molecule and influences the rate of cancer development.
In addition, constant metabolism of Turmeric can quell the growth of tumors by restricting the development of new blood cells in tumors cells. Several cancerous cells are destroyed during every intake of Turmeric. Compounds like curcumin can treat and prevent the spread of pancreatic, breast, colorectal, prostate, and gastric cancer.
- Due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties, turmeric can be a long-term treatment option for people with osteoarthritis (OA). A study done on mice established that fifty mg oral curcumin per kilogram (kg) weight significantly slowed the progression of Osteoarthritis, whereas a topical curcumin treatment provided pain relief. That said, whether these benefits would apply to humans have not yet been studied.
How Much Turmeric Root Can You Take Per Day?
While The FDA has declared turmeric generally regarded as safe for use in foods, without setting any maximum daily intake. According to JECFA and EFSA, the ideal daily intake of turmeric is 3mg per kg body weight.
A person weighing 180 lb. (82 kg) could ingest up to 245 mg. The side effects for ingesting higher doses can be headache, diarrhea, rash, and nausea. Overdose that can cause these ranges from 450 to 12,000 mg daily.
How Long Does Juiced Turmeric Last?
When stored well, juiced turmeric can last for several days or weeks. Juiced turmeric stored in an airtight ziplock bag and kept in a refrigerator can last up to 14 days.
Although, if it starts growing mold, that’s the cue to dispose of it and blend a fresh batch. The root, when stored in a freezer, can last for as long as six months. However, it is advisable to juice your turmeric as soon as possible. Freezing fruits and vegetables can make them lose their natural enzymes.
Do You Need To Peel Turmeric Before Juicing It?
Do you need to peel turmeric before juicing? Not necessarily. But from relating to humans, I have come to realize everyone has a reference. So it’s recommendable for you to use your discretion.
While some persons choose not to peel their turmeric and others do. If you own a good quality masticating juicer, it will be able to juice your unpeeled turmeric. Nonetheless, you should cut them up into smaller pieces.
Related Article: Do You Have To Peel Ginger Before Juicing?
We will like to hear about your experience If you have never juiced turmeric, I guess this is your cue to try it out. The benefits of juicing turmeric cannot be overemphasized.
It could protect you against cancer, help with chronic inflammation, alleviate anxiety, help with anxiety and depression and clear up your acne and leave a clear skin Juicing turmeric or adding turmeric to smoothies and meals are great ways to incorporate this healthy antioxidant into your diet.
When last did you juice turmeric? Leave us a comment sharing how you do it.